(1) Subject to section 15, the Chief Commissioner may appoint a person as a police officer below the rank of Assistant Commissioner.
Section 15 enables the Governor in Council to determine the total number of police officers and the total number of police officers of each rank.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Chief Commissioner may appoint a person under this section only if the person satisfies the prescribed criteria for appointment.
(3) The Chief Commissioner, in exceptional circumstances, may waive any of the prescribed criteria for appointment in any particular case.
(4) Subject to subsection (5), an appointment under this section—
(a) may be on a full-time or part-time basis; and
(b) may be for a fixed term or on an ongoing basis.
(5) An appointment under this section may be made on a part-time basis or for a fixed term (or both) only if the Chief Commissioner is satisfied that it is necessary to do so for the purposes of—
(a) a specific project or task force of finite duration; or
(b) dealing with an emergency within the meaning of the Emergency Management Act 1986 .
(6) The instrument of appointment must specify the rank at which the person is appointed.