(1) The Chief Commissioner may transfer a police officer to another position at the same rank on application or request by the officer.
(2) In determining a transfer under this section, the Chief Commissioner—
(a) must have regard to the efficiency of the candidate for transfer; and
(b) if there is more than one candidate for transfer—
(i) must have regard to their relative efficiencies; and
(ii) subject to subsection (3), must not have regard to their relative seniority.
S. 34(3) substituted by No. 54/2016 s. 7.
(3) The Chief Commissioner must have regard to the relative seniority of candidates for transfer to a position in the following ranks if the Chief Commissioner considers that the candidates are equally efficient—
(a) senior sergeant;
(c) senior constable;
(d) constable, if the position is the position of constable (general duties).
(4) Subsection (2) does not apply to—
S. 34(4)(a) amended by No. 19/2016 s. 4.
(a) a transfer to a Metropolitan position of constable (general duties) or senior constable (general duties); or
(b) a transfer made under an expression of interest process agreed under an industrial instrument applying to police officers.
(5) The Chief Commissioner must cause notice of the selection of a police officer for transfer under this section to be published in the Police Gazette.
(6) This section does not apply to a Deputy Commissioner or an Assistant Commissioner.