(1) The Chief Commissioner may employ as many police recruits as the Chief Commissioner considers necessary to meet the needs of Victoria Police.
(2) Subject to subsection (3), the Chief Commissioner may employ a person as a police recruit only if the person satisfies the prescribed criteria for employment as a police recruit.
(3) The Chief Commissioner, in exceptional circumstances, may waive any of the prescribed criteria for employment as a police recruit in any particular case.
(4) A police recruit is to be employed on the terms and conditions, and for the period, determined by the Chief Commissioner.
(5) The Chief Commissioner may terminate or extend the employment of a police recruit at any time.
Division 7—Protective services officers