(1) The appointment of a person under section 38 is subject to an initial period of probation of 2 years.
(2) At the end of the initial period of probation, the appointment is confirmed unless, before that time, the Chief Commissioner—
(a) terminates the appointment under subsection (4); or
(b) extends the probation for a period not exceeding one year.
(3) At the end of a further period of probation under subsection (2)(b), the appointment is confirmed unless, before that time, the Chief Commissioner terminates the appointment under subsection (4).
(4) The Chief Commissioner may terminate an appointment under section 38 at any time during an initial or further period of probation.
(5) In determining whether or not a period of probation has ended, any of the following periods of absence from duty must be disregarded—
(b) leave without pay;
(c) personal leave of one month or more continuously;
S. 39(5)(d) substituted by No. 3/2019 s. 89(1).
(d) parental leave of one month or more continuously;
(e) long service leave.