(1) The driver of a motor vehicle towing another vehicle using a chain, rope, fabric, strap or wire (the towline ) must comply with this rule.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
Motor vehicle is defined in the Road Safety Act 1986 . Vehicle is defined in rule 15.
(2) If neither of the vehicles is a motor bike, the driver must keep a distance of not over 4 metres between the vehicles.
Motor bike is defined in the dictionary.
(3) If at least one of the vehicles is a motor bike, the driver must keep a distance of not over 2·5 metres between the vehicles.
(4) If the towline is longer than 2 metres, the driver must attach a white or brightly coloured flag, piece of cloth or other similar material (the warning material ) to the towline in accordance with subrule (5).
(5) The warning material must—
(a) be substantially square or rectangular with 2 adjacent sides at least 300 millimetres long; and
(b) be attached midway along the towline; and
(c) be visible for at least 100 metres from either side of the warning material.