(1) A driver entering a marked lane, or a line of traffic, from the far left or right side of a road, or from a shoulder of a road, must give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
1 Line of traffic and marked lane are defined in the dictionary.
2 For subrule (1), "give way" means—
(a) if the driver is stopped—remain stationary until it is safe to proceed; or
(b) in any other case—slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision—see the definition in the dictionary.
(2) However, the driver of a public bus does not have to give way to a vehicle if—
(a) the driver of the vehicle is required to give way to the bus under rule 77; and
(b) it is safe for the bus to enter the lane or line of traffic in which the vehicle is driving.
1 Public bus is defined in the dictionary.
2 The bus must display a give way to buses sign and the right direction indicator lights of the bus must be operating—see rule 77.
(3) A driver turning from a median strip parking area into a marked lane, or a line of traffic, must give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
1 Median strip parking area is defined in the dictionary.
2 For subrule (3), "give way" means the driver must slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision—see the definition in the dictionary.
(4) In this rule—
"road" does not include a road related area, but includes any shoulder of the road.
Road related area is defined in rule 13. Shoulder is defined in rule 12.
Note 1 to Pt 8 amended by S.R. No. 135/2021 rule 31.
1 The rules in this Part cover most traffic signs and road markings. However, some traffic signs and road markings are dealt with in other Parts dealing with particular subjects. These include—
• speed-limits (including speed-limits in speed-limited areas and shared zones)—see Part 3;
• U-turns—see Part 4, Division 4;
• traffic lights—see Part 6;
• stop signs and give way signs —see
• roundabouts—see Part 9;
• level crossings—see Part 10;
• keeping left and lane signs—see Part 11;
• stopping and parking—see Part 12;
• pedestrians—see Part 14;
• riders of bicycles and electric scooters—see Part 15.
2 Rule 322 deals with the meaning of traffic control devices on a road or in or at an area or place (including an intersection).
3 For a driver, a traffic sign or road marking mentioned in a rule is, unless the contrary intention appears, a sign or marking that applies to the driver. To find out how traffic signs and road markings apply to a driver, see rules 338 to 341.
Division 1—Traffic signs and road markings at intersections and other places
"Intersection", road marking and traffic sign are defined in the dictionary.